Is responsible gaming possible with so many online casinos one can access internationally? Many gamblers in New Zealand play without experiencing any harm, while unfortunately a few people can be negatively impacted by gambling. However, this can be avoided and this is where we actively encourage responsible gambling. Gamblers mustn’t fall into the trap of gaming not being fun anymore.
If you are considering playing casino games but are concerned about a potential problem gambling, you can take steps to ensure that you are gambling responsibly. Also, existing gamblers who feel it isn’t fun anymore can take specific steps to turn their situation around. For more on these steps, read below.
What is Responsible And Problem Gambling
Responsible gambling refers to having control over your gambling, knowing your limits and sticking to them. These limits can be a budget you define yourself, or you can look at the limits the online casino offers to help you control your gambling.
However, there are times when gambling can become a problem. Problem gambling can happen to anyone. It can occur if you start losing control, chasing losses, and not respecting your limits. This will negatively affect your life.
Betkiwi’s Responsible Gambling Pledge
We are dedicated to supporting responsible gambling, and every step of the way, we want to ensure that our players are having fun. When playing at online casinos, we encourage our players to take steps to gamble responsibly to avoid losing control.
We only recommend online casinos that are just as dedicated as we are to responsible gambling. Our recommended online casinos allow players to set limits on their accounts, like a deposit limit or a wager limit, along with other tools. Our recommended online casinos are safe and secure, and licensed by legitimate government bodies like the Malta Gaming Authority and the UK Gambling Commission. These bodies enforce regulations regarding the mandatory gambling tools a casino makes available to players.
It’s very important to know what responsible gambling is and what measures to take to ensure you don’t go beyond that. When you visit a casino, land-based or online, it’s important that your visit is for fun. Also, ensure you find an excellent casino to play in, primarily online. For new players, it can be hard to select a legit online casino.
Trusted online casinos are usually owned by companies that have been established in the industry for a long time. They take care of their customers by having licences from authorised bodies, securing user data and processing payments on time.
Other than doing it for fun, here are some things you can do to make sure that you stay in control of gambling:
- Before you start, set limits and as you play, make sure you do not go over them.
- Bet what you can afford, don’t sacrifice grocery money or borrow money for gambling.
- If you lose, don’t try to make up for your losses.
- Take breaks regularly
- Avoid using the casino as your stress reliever.
- Gambling should not be more important than people that are close to you.
How To Check Your Playing History
Online casinos are required to keep a player’s history that a player can refer to at any time.
When logged into your online casino account, you can usually find your player’s history under your account area. Here, you can view your deposits, withdrawals, playing time, and more. If you can’t find your history in your account, try the cashier section for a record of your transactions.
How To Keep Gambling a Fun Activity
No matter whether you win or lose, online gambling should be fun. If at any point you stop having fun and are starting to feel anxious or depressed, step away from the tables and reels.
If you want to have fun gambling, you should expect the losses. Gambling is up and down. Knowing this and accepting it will go a long way to making sure you have fun.
- Make a budget for your gambling, and no matter what happens, stick to it.
- View online gambling as another hobby that you do now and then, along with your other interests, like reading or going out to eat. Taking breaks, doing something else, and returning another time makes the experience more enjoyable.
- Gambling is fun, but you must stay in control of how much you are spending. Don’t gamble with money set aside for something else. Doing this will create a negative experience.
- Don’t gamble when you are under the influence or are emotional, as this can lead to impulsive and poor decisions. Play with a clear head and stable mood to get the most out of this entertainment.
Gambling Problem Helpline New Zealand
Gambling is fun if you are playing for entertainment purposes only. Cinematic graphics and themes of various slots contribute to discovering your favourite game. Also, bonuses should excite you mainly because you will be able to play without having to deposit money into your casino account.
Online gambling has also made access to gambling easy as you can do it on the go and play table games live. Gambling without violating the above set of rules it’s fun all the way.
We cannot, however, ignore that there is a minority that faces potential harm through gambling. Playing casino games can be addictive. You will notice a couple of behavioural characteristics when you or someone close to you are experiencing gambling addiction.
These include a flood of emotion caused by gambling, dishonesty or keeping gambling a secret and borrowing money to gamble more than intended. There is a Zealand helpline with specialist services to assist if you are struggling with this issue. Below are the details to contact the trained staff that can help you:
- Gambling Helpline – Available 24/7 via call at 0800 654 655 or text 8006
- Gambling Debt Helpline – You can get them anytime for a debt management specialist, and their contact number is 0800 654 658
- Maori Gambling Helpline – Available 24/7 for a specialist in gambling-related problems at 0800 654 656
- Youth Gambling Helpline – Available 24/7, youth counselors for youth gambling problems – 0800 654 659
- Pasifika Gambling Helpline – For people in the Pacific community, available 24/7 at 0800 654 657
As it is generally known that gambling can be a problem for specific individuals, good casinos put measures in place to assist their customers, not be a part of that minority. As mentioned above, using gambling to earn an income can begin addiction. Slots, roulette, baccarat, blackjack, etc., are games that are there to be played for fun.
To enjoy casino games, play responsibly by setting time and financial limits. Don’t chase losses and accept them because most casino games are about luck. You might miss out on all the fun and other essential aspects in your life if you constantly try to figure out ways to win big as you play.
Warning Signs of Problem Gambling
Problem gambling can happen to anyone, especially if all advice about responsible gambling is ignored. If you are worried about problem gambling or know someone who may have a problem, here are some of the most common warning signs.
- Spending more time thinking, talking, and planning your time around gambling.
- Increasing the amount spent on gambling over time to get the same level of excitement.
- Trying to control or stop gambling without success.
- Feeling irritable, anxious or depressed when trying to stop gambling.
- Using gambling as a means of escape.
- Chasing losses to try and win money back that has been lost.
- Lying to friends and family to hide how much money or time is spent gambling.
- Not being able to pay bills or asking others for financial help due to gambling.
Licence and Audits
When joining an online casino, finding one licensed by trusted bodies is very important. It should have information on ownership, software providers, fairness of games and payment procedures. Casinos should also be audited by professionals, including the casino management and its internal auditors.
On top of that, government agencies and certified independent accountants should also be on the casino’s list of auditors. A casino should also be accredited by eCOGRA to show that it has been tested and approved for safety.
It’s essential to check an online casino’s licence, owners and auditors before considering registering and joining. You can also take a further step and check its reviews. If many people are unhappy with the casino, that is enough warning for you to stay away. If it’s difficult for you to find a casino’s certificates on its website, then that casino is not worth your money.
How Online Casinos tackle Problem Gambling
Online casinos should provide gamblers with resources to avoid or deal with problem gaming. These include self-exclusion and other gambling restrictions. You will find that casinos with a UK Gambling Commission licence are most likely to be safer and adhere to these restrictions.
Online casinos in New Zealand must take the necessary precautions to help problem gamblers. Online casinos that do not adhere to these have received hefty fines and will continue to get them until customer safety is put first.
Here are some resources to utilise that are offered by casinos to ensure you gamble responsibly:
- You can ask the casino to set a one-day, week, or monthly deposit limit. The casino won’t allow you to deposit more once you reach this limit until after the cooling-off period.
- The cooling-off feature is available in many online casinos; you can set it for 24 hours, a week, a month or three months.
- You can ask for your account to be closed and reactivated whenever you’re ready.
- There’s also a self-exclusion feature that you can activate for six months, one year or permanently. This means you cannot reactivate it until that period is over, or even forever, if that’s what you opted for.
Setting The Limits
Online casinos allow players to control their gambling by setting various limits. These limits include:
- Deposit limits: The amount you can deposit within a period. Daily, weekly, and monthly limits can be set.
- Loss limits: A loss limit restricts the money you can lose over a set time.
- Session Limits: You can restrict the time you spend gambling on the platform with a session limit.
- Timeouts: This allows you to take a break from gambling for up to 6 weeks or so. A timeout will restrict your account and will be reactivated once the period ends.
- Wager limits: You can set the amount you can wager for casino games and won’t be able to place further wagers once the limit is met for that period.
Online casinos offer self exclusion for those who feel gambling is becoming a problem, and the limit tools are insufficient. Self exclusion will deactivate your account entirely, meaning you can no longer log in or make deposits or withdrawals. The online casino will also stop sending any promotional material to you.
To enter a self-exclusion period, you usually have to contact the customer support team that will action your request within 24 hours. You can set the self exclusion for up to a year or permanently.
How To Block Gambling Payments
Most payment methods are working with players to block gambling transactions. You can contact your bank to set up this block to stop gambling payments. You can also do it from online banking under gambling payment options and turning off gambling payments.
How To Block Gambling Ads
There are also ways to block seeing gambling ads on social media networks like Facebook and YouTube.
On Facebook, the ads aren’t removed. However, you can hide them and similar ads by clicking the options menu on the ad and selecting hide or by using the X. Facebook also allows you to adjust ad preferences to see more relevant ads and fewer gambling ads.
You can opt out of seeing gambling ads within the Google Ad Settings on YouTube. When logged into your Google Account, head to your Google Ad Settings and locate Ad Personalisation.
If Ad Personalisation is off, you will have little control over the types of ads you see. However, with it on, you can control the type of ads you see. On the “How You Ads are Personalised” Section, scroll down to YouTube, where you can choose to see fewer ads relating to gambling and alcohol. Select these and confirm your changes. Whilst Google can’t guarantee that you won’t ever see these ads, you should see them less often in the future.
Why Responsible Gambling Is Important To Us
Responsible Gambling is critical for us, as we strive to promote and encourage safe gambling practices in our readers. We educate our readers by writing about tools that help prevent gambling addiction. We also try to provide balanced information about gambling.
FAQs About Responsible Gambling
We want all our players at Betkiwi to have fun and gamble responsibly. It is important to stay in control, and if at any time you feel that you aren’t, seek help.
What is responsible gambling?
Responsible gambling is about setting limits and sticking to these. This ensures you have a fun and positive experience, whether you win or lose. Responsible gambling involves setting budgets and sticking to them, never gambling more than you can afford, avoiding chasing losses, etc.
What is problem gambling?
Problem gambling occurs when gambling affects your finances and mental health negatively. If you lose control over gambling, seek help as soon as possible.
Can I track my gaming history?
Yes, you can. Online casinos offer a player history, including transactions made and time spent playing on the casino site.
Who can I speak to about problem gambling?
If you need help, there are several organisations you can reach out to. Our recommended online casinos offer links to external support like the Gambling Helpline.
What limits can I set?
You can control your casino account by placing various limits. These limits include deposit, wager, loss and session limits. You can also opt for a timeout or a self-exclusion period.